Dangerous "blue-green algea" has been found at Frances Slocun State Park, the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture said in a release today.
Via PA Departmment of Agriculture:
⚠️ Cyanobacteria blooms, often called blue-green algae, have been confirmed at Frances Slocum State Park. Exposure to harmful algae blooms can result in serious illness or death for dogs.
Do not let pets drink or swim in water, If your pet gets in, immediately wash them with clean water. Call your veterinarian immediately if your animal shows symptoms of cyanobacteria poisoning: loss of energy, loss of appetite, vomiting, stumbling/falling, foaming at the mouth, diarrhea, convulsions, excessive drooling, tremors, or any other unexplained sickness within a day after being in contact with the water
In general with any body of water, these are good rules of thumb:
🤢 If it’s green, don’t go in! Discolored water could be a sign of harmful algae bloom.
❌ When in doubt, keep pets out! Don’t let your pets swim in, play in, or drink discolored or scummy water
Learn more at cdc.gov/habs
Scroll down for more articles or use the search box below: